Name:
Location: Out West

An old-fashioned guy grappling with new-fangled ways.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A strawbale house primer...

Or, 'How NOT to build a strawbale house' by Randall Gerard. ;-)
Actually, my house turned out fairly well, but there are some things I would change if I did it again. Some of you have expressed curiosity about 'bale building, so here goes. The basics are pretty straight forward. Like any other house, a strawbale building needs a good foundation. Some builders have pounded dirt in old tires, laid bales on rail-road ties which are in turn laid on top of a trench filled with rock, and others have used poured concrete or concrete block. If you use a conventional approach to foundations, be sure to center the bales over the narrower concrete walls of the foundation. Bales are very heavy once they are stuccoed or otherwise finished, don't skimp on foundation. In general, it is simpler to build a foundation the width of the bales you are using then it is to tweak a conventional foundation so that the bales are adequately supported. Believe me, I know. My house has essentially two foundations. Initially we were going to stack bales on a wooden floor suspended between 6" round poles placed 10' apart. In other words, a pole building foundation. But the poles were too far apart, and we had to go back and pour a concrete stem-wall between the posts, AFTER the bales were stacked. I don't recommend it.
And that leads me to some design considerations. In general, it's much simpler and easier to build a single story structure then multiple stories. The higher you go with bales, the more unstable they get, and you have to compensate with more wood framing. Some have successfully built with NO framing at all between the bales. This only seems to work well on small single-story projects with solid slab foundations and hip roofs. If the bales are required to support the roof, a hip roof will distribute that load evenly to the tops of all four walls. That way the house should settle evenly. This style of bale building is called 'Nebraska style' after the western Nebraska pioneers who invented bale construction in the 1870's. There are still Nebraska style buildings standing in that state that date back to the 1920's and earlier. Nevertheless, building inspectors don't like them despite a good track record, and ditto for insurance providers and mortgage lenders. Buildings of dirt and straw have only been around for centuries; but just try educating a bureaucrat on the advantages and virtues of straw, cob, earth-bag or other 'unconventional' methods. Your time would be better spent building something.
Fortunately, it is possible to build with bales and still please all the white-collar leaches who will want a piece of your project. Construct a frame to hold up the roof and use the bales as infill between the members. Only, don't do it the way I did. You may recall I used 6" poles spaced 10' apart. The bales I used averaged 14" high x 18" wide x 36" to 42" long. Placing blocks of such varying lengths in a 10' space virtually guaranteed lots of time-consuming shortening, notching and fitting of bales around the posts, window and door frames. If I had to do it over, I would design a frame that was the full width of the bales, and I would base the span between vertical supports upon the average length of my bales. In my case a 9' or 12' span between vertical framing members would have been much easier and faster. And if my frame had been the full width of the bales, I would have had no notching to do. Once your frame is up, you then have the option of roofing the house or stacking bales. Provided you don't live in a windy area, I would roof the house first. That way, the bales can be kept dry and yet close at hand while you fit them around the frame. As an aside, I didn't roof first because it is usually windy and dry where I live. The year I built the house, though, there wasn't much wind, but it rained buckets that spring. We ended up mulching our garden with lots of soggy bales. A word to the wise is sufficient.
I don't know much about earth plasters and such, since mine is finished with fiberglass reinforced cement stucco. In dry areas, I understand that earth or adobe plasters work very well. If I were to use them, I would want generous roof overhangs and no bales within a foot or so of grade. Around here, it's basically dry, but when it does rain and snow, there's likely to be wind as well. That's the main advantage of stucco; it won't erode away in a driving rain. Basically, we pinned chicken wire to our bales and had the 1st coat of stucco blown on at 80 psi, inside and outside. We wanted that first coat to be tightly wed to the bale walls, excluding all air, and it was. The 2nd and 3rd coats we troweled by hand. I say troweled, but we actually used our gloved hands more then we used the trowel. The result was a lumpy, organic, sculptured look. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures sometime.
A few more do's and don'ts. Any electrical switches, fixtures, outlets need to be in conduit. It's easy to flush mount all of this stuff in bales. Just take a claw hammer and gouge a hole for your box and a trench for the conduit, pin in place with big wire staples and hang chicken wire over it. Stucco away. Plumbing is a whole 'nother animal. Don't run plumbing inside bale walls at all, you're only asking for trouble. Design interior plumbing walls and run all your pipes in them.
And now, the icing on the cake. My house cost $35.00 a square foot, in 1995-1997. (Yes, it took nearly 3 years to finish it. I am the world's slowest general contractor.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Randall,
Thank you so much for your sharing your experience with strawbale building! $35 per sq ft is fantastic! How much savings do you think you have on utilities? Do you have an AC system?

Interesting about your fiberglass stucco. I think that would be necessary here as the winters are wet and when it rains the wind is always making it coming in almost horizontally.

What maintainence have you had to do to upkeek the house?

Blessings,
Christine

7:35 AM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

Christine,

You're very welcome. We equipped the house with a propane radiant heater and positioned it in the center of the house. This stove, with no electric fan, was our primary heat source. Remember now, we live on the frozen tundra in a rocky mountain state. We were able to heat all of our water, heat the house and cook our food with 850 gallons of propane a year. We have ceiling fans to circulate air, but no A.C. Even on very hot days it's always 20 degrees cooler in the house, if you remember to shade the south windows. We do have electric base-board heaters in the north bedrooms, and these are on individual thermostats and only used as needed. We didn't have them on very much.

As far as maintenance, I've replaced 3 windows; the originals were pretty cheap and I wanted to up-grade. Other then that, there is trim paint to keep up and shingles that keep blowing off. I will probably install a sheet metal roof at some point.. I'm getting tired of fixing shingles. The stucco shell, inside and out, has been trouble free to this point. No cracks, no settling, nothing. I would definitely recommend it.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

All I can say is WOW! That's very little upkeep.

Wonder if the humidity we have here would be a negative factor? Or once the bales are covered in the stucco that wouldn't be a problem?

I know there are strawbale homes in Austin, but its much less humid there.

Where did you get your straw bales?

8:37 PM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

Christine,

I do think strawbale is a better fit for dry climates. Bales are like big sponges, and once they get wet and moldy, there's no way to dry them out. If you're going to attempt a bale house in a humid area, I would invest in a device that measures water content. I forget what they're called, but it's basically a hand held probe connected to a guage the measures moisture in percent. Bales should not be used if they have a moisture content over 15%. If they're good and dry when you put them in the wall and stucco them, they should remain that way. But, if they're not, the stucco will lock in the water and they'll gradually deteriorate.

I bought my bales locally. I happen to live in a wheat growing area and the farmers and ranchers bale tons of it every year. I bought enough bales for a 30 X 50 house for about $400, delivered. But that was 11 years ago, I'm not sure what it would be now.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Randall,

The issue around here would be to find straw bales, rather than hay bales. Straw bales seem hard to find around here.

My neighbors purchase straw bales from an organic feed store in Weatherford, TX. The owner is a friend of ours, I might ask him if he can measure the moisture on the bales he gets- all part of the information gathering.

And it would cost alot more that $400 right now!! :-)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Tanj,Uschi&Vladi said...

Randall,
I stumbled across your blog b/c some came to my Bengal Cat blog from yours. I was just interested in your insights and read on. We purchased a ~700sq ft one room strawbale house ~3 years ago, it is only ~9 years old now. The house was a complete wreck/under finished/an uninhabitable dump when we moved into a cargo container on the nice property. Over a three month period, I completely rewired and actually plumbed and fitted the house, the original owner/builder used a 5gal pale outside and “bathed” in a small pan of river water they hauled! It is now very comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Actually the nicest/most comfortable/quiet place we have ever lived in, and we have lived in some “nice” conventional houses.


I installed electric radiant heat panels in the ceiling, they are GREAT, quite and comfortable.
Our entire place is electric, lots of can lights, etc. etc. etc. our max month utility bill has been $111. That was in the OR “winter” (mid 20s-mid30s) with the thermostat set to 73, with hot baths etc. I installed an Envirotech electric tankless hot water heater. It is a big unit (18,000w) so the lights flicker a bit when it runs, but it only runs when we want hot water.


Anyway, your words/insights on the bale construction are all things that have been on my mind (daily) as "if only I had build this place I would have done it this way,..." Our place has no structural framing, just a hip roof on the bales (with a cap that is tied into the foundation with long all-thread/rebar,... none of the “electrical” was in conduits, the crumbly “earth stucco” dislodges as a powder with a breath of wind/slight brush with a soft hand,... we actually painted the interior to hold it together, which has worked well thus far, even if paint/less breathing is bad for the bales. I have been dreaming of having raw bales to blow synthetic stucco onto (that makes total sense in my dreams),... and I wish there was a structural frame holding the roof, our heavy/frequent winds show up as a fracture line around the ceiling wall intersection. All of those details would allow this structure to survive and be incorporated into an addition. As it stands, eventually, this big bad wolf will blow this place away with a bull-dozer, after I build new unique structure is built.


Anyway, thanks for reinforcing my dreams of what could have been. >;-)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

Lavs,

Thanks for stopping by. It really is hard to beat a bale wall for quiet; and a sense of warm, snug security. Good luck with your new project.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home