Name:
Location: Out West

An old-fashioned guy grappling with new-fangled ways.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The dinner show

At work we have a long honored tradition we call the dinner show. I work a 24 hour shift, so we eat supper together, and usually one or more of us will tell a funny story during the meal. These stories aren't always family friendly; in fact they are often profane and vulgar, so I rarely participate. However, I just returned from a road trip to SW Missouri, and my co-workers wanted to hear all about it and they weren't taking 'no' for an answer. I tried to explain that the trip was a working vacation and nothing they would consider interesting happened, but in the end, they prevailed. So, I cleared my throat.
"Well, we drove to Lincoln and visited my folks and then got up the next morning and drove to Branson. My wife, son and his friend stayed on campus that night with my other son and daughter, but I stayed at a friend's place with my youngest daughter. The next day we got up and drove to Branson and I spent that day working on my oldest son's car. We managed to get it drivable and my wife fixed dinner for all of us at my daughter's dorm on campus. After supper we drove to the same friend's house and stayed up talking with them until midnight or so. We got up the next day and drove to Branson again for worship. After worship we went to my friend's church in Springfield and we enjoyed a pot-luck supper, hymn singing, foot races and volleyball the rest of the afternoon. We then drove back to my friend's house and had supper, listened to some fine guitar picking and even helped them sing a little. The next day, we said our goodbyes and drove up to Lincoln. We spent the night there and got up the next day and drove to Cheyenne."
While I was relating this basic story, I was being constantly interupted. Did I see any shows in Branson? No. Did I do any golfing? No. Did my wife and I do anything (ahem) intimate? None of your business. Did I see a lot of road kill? Yes. Any dead armadillos? Yes. Did I get rained on? Yes. Any tornadoes? No. Did I get drunk and do anything embarassing? No. Did I go to the movies? No. Did I go out to a nice restaurant? Yes, my friend's house and my mom's house and the church pot-luck and the meal my wife cooked. Nooo, I mean a nice restaurant, with waiters and such? No. Did you have any car trouble? No. Finally silence. I sit back and poke idly at dessert.
'Wow', someone says, 'what a boring trip'. I shrug. I let them think it was boring and uneventful. But actually, our trip was refreshing and stimulating. I could have told them about the multi-colored flock of hens pecking and scratching in my friend's yard, and how their antics made me smile. Or about working all day with both my sons again and how good that felt. We enjoyed stimulating conversations, good nourishing food, lots of laughs and we even learned some new hymns. I watched nine children, ages 7 to 20, occupy the same modest house for days with nary a cross word between them. What a blessing that was! I saw green pastures, flowering fruit trees and many contented cows. I heard guitar pickin' so pretty I had trouble singing around the lump in my throat. I saw my adult children prospering spiritually. I got to pray and worship with them in person again and shed tears of mingled joy, pride and sorrow at our parting. I traveled 2,000 miles in safety, ease and comfort and I saw many loved ones and made several new friends along the way. And I went home rejoicing in the goodness of God and thanking Him for my new friends, The Settler and The Aspiring Agrarian.
But of course, I didn't tell them what really happened because they weren't interested. They only wanted to be entertained, not edified. They did not wish to rejoice with me, but only find ways to laugh at my expense. The truth is, had they gone on this trip with me, they would have been bored and discontented, even as I experienced blessing on every side. Isn't it amazing how the natural man only wants to feed his lusts? He cares nothing for his soul.
R.G.

4 Comments:

Blogger JFC said...

My two cents worth ... we, too, were blessed on this end of the trip. Perhaps your friends would have been a little titillated by the fact that we sang the parts of Margaritaville that we could remember, but I would tend to agree with you that they would have been bored to tears by the same Psalms that brought such blessing to us.

I enjoyed your recounting of the trip!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.G.

Sounds like a very nice trip. God's blessings were certainly upon you and your family. I have to believe the reason your co-workers are so intent on "sharing" in yours and others experiences is that their lives are so shallow and empty. They wish to live vicariously through others to cover the shame of their own pitiful lives.

Secondly, if they know others are doing the same sinful things to satisfy their lusts, it in some way justifies their actions. Those people need to here to truth, they need to know of God's grace, and how they will only find contentment in His Son.

May God continue to use you as a faithful witness!

8:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

I know how you feel. Explaining my home life to people at work gets the same kind of reaction, even from most of the Christians. 'What a boring life. And people come to visit you?'

Thanks for sharing the boredom with us. We're looking forward to the next time. I'll hold out a few bottles of Doug's brew for you.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

I'll tell you what guys, I was just floored by the questions I was asked! What I've written here are only the ones fit for mixed company. To me, the questions they asked only betrayed the neurotic modern need to be entertained every minute of the day. Not to mention a remarkable blindness to the ordinary, yet precious, blessing of ordinary life.

Given what I know about the guys I work with, I shouldn't have been surprised.. and yet I was. If I ever had any doubts about the doctrine of total depravity, I don't anymore.

On a more positive note, there were some I work with who had ears to hear - privately. May God give christian men more boldness, myself included! May we be less and less inclined to live at peace with the errors of the world.

James, I am looking forward to sampling Doug's brew, and bringing some of my own.

JFC, keep on pickin', brother.

David, thanks for stopping by. I agree that the lost are completely focused on present pleasures. For them it makes sense, as long as they refuse to repent and believe.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home