Name:
Location: Out West

An old-fashioned guy grappling with new-fangled ways.

Monday, February 27, 2006

There's Strength in Numbers...

I was perusing my well-worn copy of Gene Logsdon's 'The Contrary Farmer', and came across a great suggestion for wannabe agrarians with no land, like your's truly. I don't know how I missed it before, but here it is. He suggests that like-minded families or individuals should get together, buy a farm or ranch, and divide it between them. This approach has several advantages, the most obvious being a lower price per acre for all concerned. A second advantage would be knowing in advance who your neighbors are going to be; indeed you would be choosing your neighbors before you ever shop for land!

I am intrigued by the possibilities. I know I'm not the only land-less agrarian out there of modest means. I also know through the pleasant discovery of many fine agrarian blogs, that there are many who generally share my christian agrarian values and vision. While there are sure to be differences with regard to the details, surely all of us want good land at a good price, and good neighbors nearby.

So... towards that end, let's talk. Here are a few things I would like to accomplish and also some of my own druthers, prejudices and oughts. Please feel free to express your own. I have an open mind; yet I hope not so open that my brains are in danger of falling out my ears.

1. I want to accomplish this without any debt. I am planning to sell everything, join up with others in some kind of legal, enforcable covenant, and buy land out-right. I'm not interested in making payments.
2. I am a reformed christian, and would prefer to do this with other reformed christians. However, I do realize there are sincere, genuine christians in other communions that are not reformed. The label 'reformed christian' expresses my own convictions; it doesn't necessarily describe my boundaries of fellowship.

3. This is a big, beautiful country and I'm open to going anywhere; but I do have preferences I will apply to any location proposed. In general, I want reasonably fertile land, regular rain-fall and a fairly even mix of woodland, pasture and cropland. A four-season climate. Proximity to a town or small city might be an advantage, both as a potential market, for a variety of established churches and as a source of employment, should that be necessary. I don't like excessive regulation and bean counters and revenooers, public or private, give me a rash. I will be assessing the political climate accordingly. As an example, I own and use guns. I homeschool. I want to drink milk straight from the udder and butcher my own meat without interference. I don't want to pay a fortune in property, sales or income taxes. You get the idea.

4. I'm in no particular hurry. I've done this before by myself, and I've made enough mistakes by rush, rush, rushing at it to fill a book. I no longer want to go it alone; I want community AND land. If you've been there and done that as well, maybe we should talk. I would like to meet like-minded folks, have land agreed upon, purchased, and divided up by 2010. I think anything worth doing, is worth doing right. I have no idea what I'm getting into as far as legal entanglements go, so any advise from christian attorneys, CPA's, wise Pastors, would be appreciated. In a multitude of counselors, there is safety.

5. I personally would like a small grazing operation, with a variety of stock. But I also like to hunt, fish and home-brew a bit. A big garden space is a must and an orchard would be nice. I'm not so much geared towards growing for sale; mostly I want to grow enough for us and sell or trade some excess in the good years.
6. Oh, I almost forgot. I don't want to own anything jointly or in common, and I won't subsidize anyone or take subsidys myself. I want each family to have their own place in proportion to what they can afford. 'From each according to his ability, to each according to his need' is not a christian concept. 'Thou shalt not covet' and 'Thou shalt not steal' are. If a hypothetical group of people pitches in together and each contributes varying amounts, and you think the property they buy should be divided equally, don't contact me. We wouldn't get along. If, on the other hand, you believe a man shouldn't eat if he doesn't work and everyone should reap in proportion to what they sow, let me hear from you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hi Randall...I came over by way of The Settler's blog. Your idea certainly has merit and I was nodding in agreement with your conditions thinking New Hampshire would qualify until you got to the property tax part! We didn't know how bad it was here until we bought our own place. This state actually has a view tax....what??? And a timber tax....huh??? Perhaps somewhere in the midwest would suit you? May the Lord lead you in your endeavors.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

Emily,

There's an awful lot I like about New Hampshire. The whole 'Live Free or Die' thing flat stirs my blood! From the pictures I've seen, it's beautiful with the rolling meadow and woodland topography I especially like. Yeah, the view tax and timber tax are head scratchers, but on the other hand, there's no income or sales tax, right? And we could always buy something without a view. Anyway, I'm inclined to take the total tax load into account and try to make comparisons that way.

The midwest does suit me, for sure. I'm a Nebraska hillbilly born and raised. Unfortunately, Nebraska taxes everything except views and timber; but then the state has little of both. In my travels, I've grown partial to NW Missouri. It seems a nice mix of trees and open area, good soil, 30" plus rainfall every year and reasonable prices. Plus, I know a good Pastor in the area. wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

But, we'll have to see what the Lord does and what everyone else wants. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Hey Randall

Ever been to Alaska? I spent a year up there with wife when we first got hitched. If you like freedom, you'd love Alaska. No income tax, property tax, building codes or permits out in the bush. I really miss Alaska. Only problem with the place is there are very few reformed churches out there.

We are up in NY now, in the hill country and about as rural as it gets. Its nice country but the taxes and regulations are brutal compared to anywhere outside of the north east.

NW Missouri dose sound like a nice place. If I'm thinking about the same pastor I think your thinkin' about, then it sounds even better.

6:14 PM  
Blogger James said...

Moving here from what I thought was the generally conservative state of Arizona, I feel like I have arrived in the Land of the Free. I've recently become very prejudiced, but I have to say that you are on the right track if you're looking into MO. I'm sure the good Rev understands that my prejudice extends to the SW Missouri Ozarks as well.

Heres a helpful link for you: http://www.randyfry.com/Farms

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commend your ambition. These things usually work best when they occur organically. In other words, when people sense the essence of a community forming. It is hard to "force" this type of thing together and then sustain it.

I have decided for me and my house, we are moving towards an agarian lifestyle which I've conceded leads to a more secluded life. My ties to the greater community will be strong yet very limited in their scope.

Your efforts will be in our prayers.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

Scott,

Funny you should mention Alaska; we're going there this summer to visit relatives. I've had many people tell me I won't want to come home. Anyplace that far from D.C. can't be bad, that's for sure...

I appreciate your blog, but your lovely wife shoulda spread more 'banure' on your son's cake.. everybody loves chocolate, right?

Settler,

Yes, Missouri sounds good to me for lots of reasons. Like I said, we'll see what God does.

David,

I appreciate the kind thoughts. And your comments concerning 'forcing' community artificially on people are appreciated as well. Believe me, I broach the subject with a great deal of fear and trembling. 'Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it..' If this is true for households, how much more so for communities!

Nevertheless, we should not shrink from our percieved duty just because it's hard. I'm hoping to hear from others with a similar vision, but as I said, I'm in no hurry. When in doubt, I always leave the beer in the fermenter an extra day. It can only help the quality in the long run.

May the Lord give you the desires of your heart, David, as you delight yourself in Him.

R.G.

1:53 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Howdy R.G.,
Group efforts are like marriage. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment to maintain a healthy relationship.

We've always been involved with groups of people and there is always the "self" factor, even amongst Christians. Of being "self centered" rather than Christ centered. I would say that is one of the biggest obstacles to making any community effort work.

I don't mean to point out the difficulties but, it is something one should go into being aware of.

I think grace and a forgiving spirit is something a would be community would have to strive towards also.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm all for seeing people work together for a common cause.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

R.L.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated. I agree that any effort made towards community is difficult, simply because we are selfish by nature. Some of that self-centeredness (for lack of a better word) is commendable; for example, the natural exclusivity of marriage and immediate family. Clearly, it is scriptural to care for your own above all others.

Still, I'm always surprised and a little saddened by how little we value community in our day. The paradox is, we miss it and have lots of angst about 'something' we don't bother to define clearly, but as a society we don't seem to be taking steps to rectify the situation. It seems we only want to mask the nagging, chronic discontent with drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, T.V., 'the next big thing' at the mall, etc.

At bottom we are hungering for relationships. We yearn for God and for each other, but we often don't realize it.

R.G.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Randall Gerard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Regarding Community, one of the interesting things I find is despite what purpose brings the two together (no mater how non-utopian or organic) it is something else that rents asunder. Unless of course it's organized religion, that usually leads to it's own undoing as compared to 'church' history - lions we the least of ones worries as individuals of faith we're quite apt at tearing each other apart, creating divisions and factions.

I find the idea of your thought quite noble, would be economical to say the least. (but I'm some what of a bean counter) The thing about (self) sacrifice, is that it's usually the others (self) sacrifice we prefer rather than our own when it comes to someone having to sacrifice.

We've done well for ourselves her in Catskill, NY so far - went from zero community - to three hospitable neighbors. Though when we bought this place I made it a habit to say hi (or in my case Howdy!) & greet everyone with a smile - even if they were young or old, street-smart youth or nosey neighbor from three streets over. Just determined to be "neighborly" and do more for them then they have/or offered to do for me.

The age old "Bloom where your planted" so when transplanted we're less garlic & leeks, and more milk & honey.

I'd join you, but were committed to the work here in NY (local assembly) and land cost $3000+/acre, and well….. as taxes go (Italian accent in effect) "Forgetta-a-bout-dit"!

Ps. I quite enjoy your site. regards.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home